How To Find Volunteer Opportunities
Volunteering is a fantastic way to give back to your community, boost your resume, and meet new people. There are lots of organizations who desperately need volunteers, but how do you actually find an opportunity that suits you? Walter Gefrom is a project manager, civil engineer, and active volunteer committed to strengthening his community. Today he shares tips for finding volunteer opportunities.
- Some volunteer organizations will request a resume, so make sure you put one together before you apply, just in case.
- Do you have any specific skills that make you unique? Are you creative? Do you like building things? Do you love talking to people? Can you teach people a skill? Knowing your skills can help you narrow down your search.
- Tell your friends and family that you are looking to volunteer. They may have experience with a particular organization, or know of places looking for volunteers.
- You can find local volunteer opportunities at places such as your local library, community center, animal shelters, parks and recreation departments, food banks, etc.
- These days there are many websites that pair organizations and volunteers together, such as JustServe.